Monday, November 10, 2008

Book of Peace And The Sea Monsters

The day began with such promise. And now look. My sea monster is dead, and I still don't have the Book of Peace. All because of you, Sinbad.

The words of the Goddess of Chaos, Eris, when she meets Sinbad, in the movie “Sinbad : The Legend of Seven Seas”. This seems so true in most of our lives. We start as kids with so much energy and lots of dreams. As we grow older many of these dreams just fade away and the energy levels fall, the death of the sea monster.

If we do a introspection as to why did the dreams not come true we'll see that its because we changed our priorities. What we thought was important and could do anything for, is not feasible anymore, either because we don't want to lose what we have in hand or because we thing there are better things. This is when we feel that its not worth pursuing that dream and that we have to move on. Moving on can be easy in some cases but may be tougher than we thing in some others. For example, I always thought that I'll be a scientist someday and will do great things. My field of research will be Applied Chemistry or Theoretical/Quantum Physics. The dream of Applied Chemistry Research has almost annihilated, but I am not ready to give up on Theoretical Physics. I still dream that someday when I retire from Software Industry I'll pursue masters and doctorate courses in Physics/Applied Mathematics and at least attempt research.

I am not sure if this will be possible but I intend to keep this dream alive and think that this is definitely possible. But we never know what the future holds for us. The main question here is “Is a dream worth pursuing?”. I am a very practical person and I mostly start working on or pursuing a dream only if I think it has a possibility of becoming true. So why do I think this dream can come true, is because of my love for math and quantum physics. Though my knowledge of both is very limited at this point.

One thing that I have learnt in my pursuit is that Life isn't a STATE MACHINE. There are no definite states in life and there is specific set of inputs that will guaranty any results. There is always just a probability, not certainty. You just have to assess the risk and try your hand. There is nothing like “hard-work pays”. Its might be true sometimes, but not always. Especially, if your hard work is assessed by some other person. Which is the case most of the time in real life.

I just hope that I'll have my Book of Peace someday and that I don't have to blame Sinbad for getting in my way. Also I hope I don't have to loose many sea monsters during my pursuit.

No comments: